Banner picture

Background.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thunder and Lightning

The last few days have been crazy with lightning. I mean that in a literal sense. Outside it has been sunny most of the day and then as the sun begins to go down it starts to get cloudy. And then the lightning begins. It's surrounding the city hitting in at least six different locations. I do enjoy this type of weather though so I can't really complain. (It makes me feel cozy, like I want to wear thick socks, throw on some sweats, wrap up in a blanket and drink hot cocoa.) Anyways, a guy that I've been hanging out with lately invited me over during one of these thunder and lightning episodes to "talk". Which had me completely freaked out from the second he mentioned it on the phone to me. You see, this guy and I have been somewhat dating, but only casually and not at all in a serious way. He knows all about me waiting for my missionary (which is a friend of his) and is fully aware that I am not looking for a serious relationship of any kind, just someone to spend time with so I don't go completely crazy, and so that I can fulfill Tyler's wish of "doing something with my life instead of sitting around doing nothing while he is away." This guy and I had gotten in to a quarrel of sorts because I told him that I was staying with Tyler's little sister (who is 17) while the family was away on vacation so she wouldn't have to stay home alone. He then responded with "this obviously means you're still close with that family and I have the wrong idea about our friendly relationship." Did you just try to add friendship and relationship and try to make it casual? Because that sort of gave me a creeper vibe, no BD or anything. So when I got to his house I was worried what direction the conversation was going to head in right off the bat. I didn't want to lose this guy as a friend, and I really did enjoy hanging out with him..but I did not want to get into the whole "I don't want to get hurt" conversation that is oh so familiar to me these days. Isn't it usually guys who hang out with you and say "I'm not looking for anything serious, I just want to be friends, blah blah blah?" Because now it seemed like I was the man in this relationship, and he has become the girl desperate to continue to hang out and eventually he will realize I'm the one for him. Lamesauce. I'm the girl, you're the boy. Stop switching roles on me I barely know how to play my own to begin with! As I arrive to his house he greets me at the door and then tells me to wait while he grabs something from his car. He comes back with a big blanket and grabs my hand and takes me into his backyard. We've layed out and looked at the stars before so I was assuming this was what he had planned. Boy was I wrong. He takes me off the deck to a ladder. A ladder! And tells me we are going on the roof to watch the lightning. As awesome as that sounds, I'm horrible with ladders. Sure the getting up part, cake. But getting down..that is a completely different story. Needless to say I went up anyway, however I did warn him several times it was going to be a chore to get me down. Once we were up and settled, we were watching the lightning and then the "conversation" started. I guess it really didn't go that bad considering it wasn't really thee conversation. We had a lot of "well it's complicated." And "I understand where you're coming from" 's in the conversation. I'm sure we'll have to talk about it again in the future. I pointed out again that I was waiting for Tyler and that we didn't have "an ending" in our relationship so as soon as he was home we'd start where we had left off. He went on to say something that I can't quite word perfectly the way he did..something about "I don't want to get hurt, but when it's right it's worth it." I don't know if I want to read into that too much. Soon the conversation came to an end because the lightning hit so close to the house that the houses a block away lost power and the thunder literally shook my body. I did NOT have time to be scared about a ladder. Let's just say I made it down that ladder and set a personal best for record time.

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same... trying to get used to the switched roles..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? It's weird to say the least. I feel like a total player. But what can you do right?

    ReplyDelete